Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Arabic Short Stories [#1]

The Gap in Kaltouma’s Fence
I think this story is mainly focused on the fact that you can't let what has happened to you make you feel old or useless. The widow starts to act old because she is a widow and she figures by being a widow she must be old. Everyone has moments like this in their life. Last summer I hurt my back real bad at work and I felt like an old man.. and the whole summer I would kind of dwell on that fact and it held me back. Sometimes just because you don't feel like a child does not mean that you're old.

My Brother
I used to babysit for a family that had a daughter with a mental health problem. I knew the younger brother and he never said it, but I could tell he often felt upset. I think it was because he hated the burden his sister put on the family. This story is much the same. I mean, he loved his sister, but he hated some of the things she would do. In this story the boy has the same feelings because he is torn for the love of his brother and all the hard work and sacrifice that comes with having a sibling with a mental disability. It doesn't make it easier that the boy's father passed on and left him and his mother to fend for themselves.

At a Woman’s House
Strange story. I didn't understand why the man just sat there in the dark looking after this baby. I assumed the child was sick because of the constant mention of the color of it's skin. The man keeps mentioning the neighbors and I think it's funny that ol' boy keeps getting kicked out and ends up smoking on the steps. I am hard pressed to find the meaning of this story. Can't wait to hear what people say in class so maybe I can make some sense out of this.

Advice From a Sensible Young Man
Another story of drug addiction. I used to be helplessly addicted to coke and lost a few friends to it, so I could identify with this story easily. I find it funny and sad how he kept coming back with another excuse to borrow money. It's sad at the end when he dies, but at the same time he may have been better off dead if he was willing to risk his family's future. I understand why the other man didn't care as much for him any more, but it's sad because the friend he once knew may have still be in there somewhere, ya know?

Glimpses from the Life of Maugoud Abdul Maugoud and Two Postscripts
This story was the best of them because it was easier to follow along. It almost had a movie quality about it that made it easier to understand. I find it funny that in stories someone will get knocked conscienceless and then people do nothing to help... and eventually the person dies. I like the drama of the boy hiding out and being scared people will find him out. The suicide thing kind of hit close to me because I have a friend who recently tried to commit suicide and luckily he failed. I know I would have been upset if he would have succeeded and I wouldn't have had anything to remember him by.

Another Evening at the Club
This story pissed me off. Of course no one wants to stand up for their own mistakes. It's sad that the servant probably never gets free. I was surprised that the husband follows along with it and decides to pawn the ring off so no one will find out. This story is a classic example of how money can change people. I had a friend who fell on some money and now she is just like the girl in this story... she will do anything to keep her happy little rich life.

The Cypriot Man
Not exactly sure what the hell is going on in this story. I can only assume that the Cypriot man is the incarnation of death or evil. I like how he is a rather smooth character and almost witty. I don't understand why the man's father dies and not him. This is yet another story I kind of just flew through, but I am very interested in what the other students will say about it. Sometimes I actually learn something from those kids. We'll see.

No comments: