This story was of great interest. I like that the boy kills the snake, but he never gets props from his ma. Which he should have, ya know? Yet another story that tries to incorporate faith into it's message. Didn't hit very hard, honestly. I like how he was like "when Mama calls us we never know whether she's cross or not" hahaha Mama doesn't play around man. Still don't understand why this boy's gotta take these laxatives..... At first I assumed it was like Tape Worm or something, because I know that plagues a lot of people in Africa, but she says he had also lost his appetite. I also question why the boy says "but for some time I was thinking I didn't love you all"
The Betrayal
Doctor Kamal, a politician and leader of a political group known as the Oriental Front, notices a new group starting to form which may take from the ruling of his Oriental Front. He slyly hints about taking them out to Salim Rashid. He talks to the Youth League to help destroy the new group. It's sad because he trades in his own beliefs just to keep is organization strong. A few days later they are all there for the first meeting for the new group. The debates take on while members of the Oriental Front interject to disrupt the new clan. After a while of this banter they start to fight, but Dr. Kamal narrowly escapes after the police show because he doesn't want to be shown as a violent man, because he has preached against it for so long. Funny how someone who supports Gandhi can be so evil, and even a violence starter.
The Coffee-Cart Girl
This story was a weird one. I think it's strange that Ruben gets so jealous of Naidoo and Zodwa's relationship. Though he did buy he some stuff, and sure they hung out every day for a while there, but I still don't understand the whole pulling the knife out thing.. seems like his jealousy took him a bit far. I think it's funny how he thinks his chances are over to see her now just because of the ordinance and not because of his actions. I was also under the impression that Naidoo only gave her the ring to pay for his coffee and cake, but perhaps it was a bit of a flirting measure as well.
Snapshots of a Wedding
I find it interesting in this story that women make the money and their intelligence shows that. I like how the man has two woman pregnant and is trying to decide who he should marry now. He should have made those decisions before he knocked the two of em up, honestly. When Neo finally understands that she is such a mean person she finally shuts her mouth and acts more reserved. I like to think that would last a whole marriage, but perhaps that is just wishful thinking. Though I think she only started acting right because she thought she might lose her husband.
Arabic Short Stories:
The Chair Carrier
I thought this story was about striving to achieve something better and not always blindly marching forward with what you've been told to do. This has kind of been the theme of my week so this story was one of my favorites. I find it interesting that the man couldn't read even the sign on the chair he's been carrying for so long. He should just sit and think it through for a bit and everything might unfold to him.
No comments:
Post a Comment