The Bridegroom
This story is about a man who is a soldier who lives alone. He is about to get married and can't wait to leave his solitude. I like the cook Piet because he was such a loyal guy to the soldier. I didn't understand that the soldier was black until they told us (it says something like, they were african like me"... I assumed he was white, I don't know why, though I guess being African doesn't make you black either.. I don't like how the story ended because I felt like there was more to the story that wasn't being told. I like how the author described the nights with the music by the campfire. I could really picture the surrounding's.
The Betrayal
This is a story about politics, peace, and violence. I like how the man is really enraged but only stays peaceful so he doesn't have to put his foot in his mouth. I like how when it came even to discussing the matter between themselves they couldn't even be peaceful. I think this sort of thing often happens in followings of great people. People preach but don't walk the walk. That's also politics for you. Politicians act one way in front of their people and a whole other way behind their desk and red buttons.
Protista
Maria, his wife, left him because she sick of being exiled. Naturally the man is lonely. The circle on the wall reminds him of Maria and how much time he's wasted. Without Maria he has no will to live, really. I don't know what he means by "manfish" at the end though... I get a since of loneliness while he is the tree and I think he feels "rooted" negatively. Like he is stuck there forever, and there is no way out. I thought of the movie Cast-Away when I read this. This story was mad-confusing for me, but I enjoyed it anyways. Much more interesting than the other two, in my opinion.
Friday, February 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment