Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress [Part Three & Four]

Chapters Thirteen and Fourteen
I found the ravine scene to be a little awkward, but I guess it shows how Lou is more confident. The narrator seems like him and Lou are growing apart after Lou goes to see the seamstress. I'm a big believer in how dreams can foreshadow the future in real life, so when a book shows that kind of foreshadowing I always note it down. This whole chapter is foreshadowing a negative future for chapters to come... like the raven.. that has bad karma written all over it. Once againe Luo saves the ol' narrator with his courage. This time though, I think he really saved his life instead of just his violin. The narrator gets strangely rage-filled and vengeful and it doesn't much seem like his character to get that way. I hope this is going to be a shift in his character.

Chapters Fifteen and Sixteen
I like the imagery of Lou and the seamstress at the pond. It reminds me of Summer and took me away from this bad weather for a second. I like how the narration kind of changes to an omnipotent narration. Honestly, he more I read about this ol' Miller guy the more I like about him. It's cool that he's not holding it against Lou for cheating those songs out of him. I like how Luo thinks he has cultured the seamstress by teaching her how to swim properly. I wonder if Luo, with his key ring clutched tightly in his hand, ever thinks about what he would do if he got to leave this place but couldn't take the seamstress. I'm glad they lost that damn key in the pond, and I hope it brings some change... like I don't know, maybe when Lou gets sent to see his sickly mother?

Chapters Seventeen and Eighteen
This scene with the snake is hard to give up. I think it is both about how the kids acting very carefree but that life is not carefree. It may be another omen of bad luck, as well. I'm glad that our narrator gets to have some feeling of responsibility and leadership now that Luo is away for a while. Our kind narrator seems to be a good friend in not hooking up with the seamstress, because I kind of got the impression that they were seeming a little flirtatious. But honestly he's got enough shit to worry about with these assholes beating him up. It's sooo strange how much this secret of having books has become this boys life.

Chapters Nineteen and Twenty
So our sweet little seamstress is pregnant? Wow that sucks. Where is Lou when you need him right? But of course, our kind narrator steps up, though there is not much service at the hospital. I think it's funny how everyone needs to know someone to get ahead in this book... like how he hopes the gynecologist knows his father. Finally after talking with a preacher about abortion (haha) our narrator finally gets to talk to the doc. Aww he gave up his book for her. Now that is love, man. Those books are worth bank I guess. Man.. books as currency? I haven't seen books cost so much since... well... since my last trip to the SWIC bookstore.

Chapters Twenty-One and Twenty-Two
I find it funny and sad that the seamstress had changed to be more of a 'city girl'. I think the narrator knew from the start that it all would change her for the worse. I think our narrator loved her for her while Luo was all about making her 'civilized' and that act took away the very thing that made her most beautiful. Unfortunately her beauty went to her head, and she leaves the two boys. That's what they get for trying to change her though. I think it's sad that they burned the books. Honestly, they should have just sold them, but hey, what do I know. I think they just needed to get away from them because of the seamstress. It's sad to think of giving up on all those characters and places they had grown so attached to. It's funny and ironic that they should burn the books because of attachment, because that is a reason why their government had burned them. To detach the rich from their luxuries and arts.

No comments: