Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress [Part One & Two]

Chapters one and two
In these chapters we see the early years of the boys' reeducation. I found it interesting that Mao wanted to send his young intellectuals to learn from poorer laborers. Like the book says though, maybe he wanted to create a new generation of thought, or maybe he was just an asshole who hates anyone intellectual. I would go with the latter of the two. I like how the two boys.. Luo.. and the narrator have such a good friendship. I like the quote, "We gre up together, we shared all sorts of experiences, often tough ones."(9) In a book I am reading for another class there is a quote, "When children grow up together in poverty, a bond is formed that is stronger than most anything. It's this same bond that causes so much pain." That quotes is from page eight of Sherman Alexie's The Lone Ranger And Tonto Fist Fight In Heaven. I also enjoyed the clock trick... Wish that worked where I work. (or at school for that matter)

Chapter three and four
In these two chapters we finally meet the seamstress. They call her princess, but I think it's because of her looks and good wealth. I don't think they call her that because of her behavior though. I think Luo and the seamstress are going to hook up. I don't remember the exact quote, but Lou says something about how she isn't civilized, or something. I think he just didn't want anyone else to know he likes her. I hate how the boys have to work in the coal mine. It almost makes lugging the shit around on their backs look like a good job. I'm not sure what all malaria consists of, but I wouldn't want to catch it.

Chapters five and six
That malaria keeps getting worse on poor ol' Lou. I wonder why they used a bow and arrow to protect him from evil spirits. That doesn't even make sense to me, but, hey, what do I know. Did Lou and the seamstress kiss? Four eyes is so stereotypical of a glasses wearing kid. haha I mean, honestly. I was damn interested in what that boy had in his suitcase until I found out they were books! haha... gosh... I thought he had something cool, ya know? But I guess banned books are a lot cooler than regular books, so... ...but anyways, of course ol' four eyes is frightened right out of his glasses about them knowing that he has banned books... and really I can't blame the bloke because those red guards would do some mean shit as punishment, I'm sure. What kills me is that them boys actually work for a book. Now aint that funny! I bet you wish you could get us to love books like that, huh Mr. Lovin? haha

Chapters seven and eight
If you ask me, that book by Balzac is a "Pandora's box". I'm afraid that once they learn and love all the things in that book, they will no longer be able to cope with their work-days. Though, I'm sure reading the book does take them away from their slave-like lives. I like how your boy Luo comes through with those words from the book to get some lovin time from the seamstress. I knew he copied those words down for a reason! haha I think a big part of Lou's attraction to the seamstress is his ability to show her new worlds due to all he has learned in the big city and all that the books have to offer. Of course, when they take that book back, Ol' Four Eyes is right and ready with a new task for them to do to get their hands on another book. It cracks me up that they are like book-addicts. So they boys set out to get Ol' Miller to give them songs up.

Chapters nine and ten
So the boys got Ol' Miller to sing them songs up! I knew that all they had to do was befriend the old bastard. haha But it's cool that they had a good time with the old man. It's like finding a diamond in the ruff in this story. Everything is. . . ya know? Well of course the songs aren't good enough for Ol' Four Eyes and he is upset with the lyrics because "they're not appropriate", so, of course Four Eyes being the dick he is changes the old lyrics just to adhere to the communes' likes. The boys don't even get a book out of all of it either. I would have broke that boy's glasses if he would have done some shit like that to me. haha just playing... but honestly... it's not right.


Chapters eleven and twelve
The head-dude is killing me with his fascination with the clock. Talk about god-syndrome. Of course everyone's least favorite character gets to leave for the City while our humble narrator is told by Ol' Four Eye's Ma that there is no way they can keep the suit case. I like the seamstress more and more as the story goes on. Being the only real female in the story, I like that she actually has more balls than both the boys combined. She decides that they should steal the suitcase! I think she likes the escapisms of the stories as well. Of course.. they come up with a lame plan to steal the books equip with a suspenseful "under the bed" scene. Kind of cleche none the less. It sucks they had to go through all this just to read, where in our country most people have knowledge at their fingertips, yet do not make use of it. I think the seamstress is going to keep surprising us as the story unfolds. I also would like to know the narrators name by the end of this whole thing!

No comments: